This Valentine’s Day, rather than spending the evening tied to the oven creating a culinary delight for your romantic night in, why not surprise your special someone with a coffee break/lunchtime/lunch box treat of heart shaped shortbread?
From start to finish, shortbread takes about half an hour. You can even ice a message on your hearts.
- 125g butter
- 55g caster sugar (plus a little extra to sprinkle)
- 180g plain flour
- Heat the oven to 190c/375F/Gas 5
- Rub the butter, sugar and flour together. As the ingredients start to bond, kneed to make a dough-like consistency.
- Turn mixture onto work surface and gently roll out until 1cm/ ½ inch thick.
- Cut into heart shapes either with a pastry cutter or free style with a butter knife & place onto baking tray
- Sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- (optional) ice your message to your Valentine